VCinema Call for Contributors
VCinema is currently seeking new writers to expand our team of enthusiastic contributors. Although our primary focus is movies, we are interested in all aspects of Asian popular culture and have previously covered such related fields as books (academic and fiction), special events, and tourism. As we are widening our scope, pieces on such related areas as comic books, fashion, music, television, and video games are most welcome. We also offer our writers the chance to cover such exciting events as the Chinese Visual Festival, JAPAN CUTS: Festival of New Japanese Film, the New York Asian Film Festival, the San Diego Asian Film Festival, and the Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival.
If you are interested in writing for VCinema, you should:
- Be passionate about Asian film and culture
- Be open to working with an editor to help improve the weaker spots in your writing
- Be able to specialize in a particular region or aspect of Asian cinema (e.g. – Anime, Asian documentary, J-Horror, Korean blockbusters, martial arts), or review titles across a range of territories and genres if your taste is especially eclectic
- Be able to deliver your writing on a regular basis and in a timely manner
- Be able to write reviews of around 650-800 words or features/reports of 1,000 words or more in order to deliver the requisite context, depth, and clearly argued criticism
- Be open to covering events in your region (e.g. – conventions, exhibitions, festivals, retrospectives)
- Be communicative and willing to share ideas that will help make VCinema a website that can grow with its readership
Please note that we do not pay writers. VCinema is not a revenue-generating site and each staffer contributes out of a shared enthusiasm for Asian cinema and culture. However, our content policy is always open-minded so this may be the ideal opportunity to develop your style and profile by covering whatever media-related aspect of Asian culture is of particular interest to you.
Inquiries can be sent to VCinema co-editor-in-chief John Berra at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attach a writing sample or provide a link to an existing blog/website.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!